Let's go back in time...

There is evidence that people lived in the area around St Barnabas Church at least 10,000 years ago. Traces of an Iron Age roundhouse have been found, and remnants of a Roman villa were used in the original church of St Mary, Little Ilford (which later became the St Barnabas parish). ​ In 1894 the area was still mostly countryside. St Mary's was described as “still pleasantly situated at the corner of a rural lane with wide stretches of meadow land as far as the eye could reach.”