Heritage Art and Architecture
St Barnabas is a Grade II listed Anglican church, built in 'London reds' with stone copings. It was designed by Sir Ninian Comper in partnership with William Bucknall, consecrated in 1900, and completed and dedicated in 1909. Although a relatively early work, it has a distinctively 'Comper' feel to it.
The church is a perpendicular style triple-aisle hall church. It has a 'waggon vault' roof with tie beams. Inside, it is spacious with large clear windows and generous proportions. The interior furnishings were carefully designed by
Sir Ninian Comper in the Gothic Revival style.
Interestingly, the church bell is much older than the church itself, having come from a mediaeval church that had been demolished. It was cast in 1596. The pulpit, similarly from another church, dates from the 17th century.
Other elements have been added or changed since the church was originally built. Comper's splendid stained glass in the east window was installed in 1954. His strawberry plant 'signature', which we made the motif of the heritage project, is at the bottom right-hand corner.
Tues & Wed
25 & 26Nov